So Many Candles Birthday Card

Hello crafty friends! I'm finally back after a super long absence. It's been too long since my last post and I sincerely apologize for it. I ran into a spot of time where I had trouble finding the energy to post projects I completed. Truthfully, I allowed myself to get discouraged. Well, no more! I am back and will be posting on a regular basis going forward.


This evening's post is a fun little birthday card poking fun at getting older. I thought it would be fun to rib one of my friends a little about his advancing age. :) One of the advantages of making your own card is that you can personalize it exactly to say what you want and in the way you want. My card is a good example of that and I had a lot of fun designing and making it because of it. 

This is an A2 sized card. I started with a plain navy blue card base which is simply a 5 1/2" high by 8 1/2" wide card stock scored and folded in half. On top of the base, I placed three sheets of paper to create a frame for the cupcake. I cut all the pieces for the cupcake, candles and flag on the Cricut Explore. The cupcake was attached with foam tape and 16 candles were glued behind. A few of the candles are attached with foam tape for a 3-D effect. Then I added the flag (also attached with foam tape) and brown holographic sequins.


All the pieces for the cupcake, flag and the flames were shaded with Tea Dye ink using a finger dauber prior to putting the card together. The sentiments were done using Freestyle Script Font and the pen feature of the Explore.The interior of the card was created with four mats. The top layer was a cream card stock.

Below is a screen shot showing the designs used for the card in Cricut Design Space. The cut details are as follows:
CUPCAKE: Close to My Heart-Art Philosophy <cupcake>, Handbook Page 70: 2.54" x 2.98"  
CANDLE (16 ea.): Wrap It Up <candle>, Handbook Page 31: .4" x 2.44"
FLAG: Close to My Heart-Artiste <Accent3>, Handbook Page 58: 3.12" x .82"
FONT: Freestyle Script, Size 30


When I design, I usually set a rectangle as the canvas that is the same size of my card front. That way, I can be assured that the pieces will look right when they are placed on the card base.

I was pretty happy with how this card came out and my friend fortunately enjoyed the joke! Next time you have a special occasion, customize it for your recipient. They will appreciate it as much as you enjoy making it! See you soon!!

No comments