Warm Winter Wishes!

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm sharing with you the card we mailed out to our friends and family this year. I was going for a frosty, snowy feeling and I do feel like I achieved it by using embossed vellum as the mat and white sequins to resemble snowflakes.

This card starts with a 4.25" x 5.5" card base. On top of that is a white vellum mat that was embossed with the snowflake embossing folder from the Paper Studio. I used the Simon Says Stamp! Set called Winter Warmth. This is a new set I purchased after seeing something similar to this card on their blog. I plan to make at least one or two more cards using this set this winter as it is pretty versatile.
To cut out the hat and mittens, I first stamped the images on white paper. Then I used the Silhouette PixScan mat to take a picture of them with my iPhone. Once the photo was imported, I was able to use Silhouette Studio to trace and create the cut shapes of the main images, plus I also created the cuff shapes for all three. It took me a little longer to figure out how to get the scarf shape for the sentiment. After trying some different things, I stamped the sentiment and then drew the scarf shape around it. I was able then to take a photo and use my PixScan mat to create the cut shape I needed. This was the first time I used the Silhouette PixScan mat and I have to say that it really works as well as they advertise. I will definitely be using this in the future for other stamps that I want to cut out quickly without having to get out the old scissor. If you don't have a Silhouette machine, Simon Says Stamp! also sells a die set so you can cut the shapes that way. You can find that here: Simon Says Stamp! Wafer Dies

Once all the shapes were ready in the software, I cut out the hats, mittens and scarf shape and went about stamping all of them. I also cut out the cuff shapes from Cricut vinyl and applied them to each hat and mitten. That worked pretty well. The vinyl was easy to manipulate in the right place and already has adhesive on the back so I didn't have to apply glue. Always a plus for saving time!

To assemble the card, I attached the red embroidery thread by folding it approximately in half and placing it on top of a 3/8" glue dot on the vellum where the hat would be. Mini glue dots secure each end of the threads that hold the mittens. Then I attached the hats, mittens and scarf with foam tape. One of the last steps was to add the three white sequins. Once those steps were completed, I applied glue to the areas behind the cuts and sequins so that I could attach the vellum to the card base. This way, the glue doesn't show the vellum because it's behind the shapes.

I made a LOT of these and it took a total of 12 hours spread over a week. This is the first year I've made all our cards. It's very reasonable in terms of supply cost (about .60/card for mine) but if you are time starved, it's a little tough. I had a couple pretty late nights finishing these up. If I do this again, I will definitely start earlier because I underestimated the time I'd need. It was good practice in production though. I can better estimate my time now if I should consider making a lot of invitations or card sets in the future.

I hope you and those you hold dear have a very blessed and peaceful Christmas. Take care of each other and until next time, Happy Crafting!


Hiding In My Craft Room-Freestyle #179-Entry #40
Little Scrap Pieces-Show It Off Saturday-Entry #10
Bitten by the bug2-Anything Christmas Challenge-Entry #3
DL Art December Linky Challenge, Entry #235
Word Art Wednesday, #163 Two Week Anything Goes, Entry #135
Simon Says Stamp! Winter Inspiration Challenge, Entry #333
Loves Rubber Stamp Challenge #131, Entry #133

No comments