Happy Father's Day Daddy-O!

Hello and happy Monday clever crafters! Today I'm posting a project for the Bitten By The Bug 2 Challenge Blog. The theme for the next two weeks is Father's Day. I need to make a couple cards this year and I was excited to find this design in the Cricut project section. I love retro themes so this project was the bee's knees!

This is a design provided by Cricut in Design space. It's called Daddy-O Father's Day card. You can find it by going into the Projects section and filtering for cards and then Father's Day. I thought it was a perfect card for my Father-In-Law. This fella's red tie and hairstyle is so much like him in his younger days. He was a dapper dude, yes indeed!


I manipulated the file a little bit. First I didn't cut the white pieces to go on the banners as the file suggested. Since I opted to use silver vinyl for the lettering, it wouldn't show up very well. So I applied the lettering directly to the light brown part of the banners. Also for the banner middle sections, I used the contouring feature to shut off the lettering because the file had the lettering on them. That was a little strange since it also had the lettering as a stand-alone file. Maybe they were just trying to provide options. Either way, that didn't work for me so I got rid of it. Now I have to tell you that I discovered that I loved these banner patterns. When you put the middle section up on foam, you get a really nice 3D banner appearance. I will be using these again for other project for sure! Finally, I didn't make the included envelope that comes with the design and opted to pull one from purchased A2 envelopes that I keep stocked at all times. It looked like a great envelope file though if you are in need of it.

So I have a confession. I've never used vinyl on a card until this project. I've been missing out! My Cricut Air cut the vinyl like butta! I first tried unsuccessfully to cut the lettering from paper. The cardstock I used was not going to have it! The results were poor and it wasn't my blade because it was brand new. So I decided that I was not going to give up and pulled out my vinyl. I'm glad I did because it worked awesome. This might be my new go-to for card lettering, especially if it's small.

Here's the inside of the card. In addition to stamping it, I used some of the main cardstock as a liner for my envelope. I tend to line the envelopes a lot more often than I used it. It just makes such a nice presentation doesn't it?


The gold top hat was an ancient embossed cardstock piece I had which had to be fussy cut. I bet it's nearly 20 years old now. I think it was was a group on a cardstock that I purchased when I first started scrapbooking years and years ago. Nothing goes to waste though. No siree! And look how great it is used here!

Well that'll do it for me today. Please go check out the BBTB2 Challenge Blog and upload your father's day card. Come on! I know you've made one! The only rule is that is has to be cut with a Cricut machine but you can use any pattern from any store. Hope to see you there!

I've entered this card in the following challenges:
Crafty Gals Corner Challenges - Masculine (Closes 6/13619)
Crafty Creations Challenges - Anything Goes (Closes 6/13/19)
Creative Moments Challenges (Closes 6/21/19)
Cardz 4 Guyz - Fathers Day (Closes 6/18/19)
Cute N Crafty-Fathers Day or Card for Man (Closes 6/16/19)

Have a great week!
Janet

7 comments

  1. So many good tips! First, I have not used vinyl on my cards either...but yeah...they stick! great for tiny, thin fonts. I am trying it! Also, kudos to using up old stuff! doesn't it feel so good (and looks good too...finally the perfect use).and....using the contour option...you are genius, another thing I have to try! You made my Monday!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alicia! I'm glad you picked up some tips. I know I learned a lot from this one. I don't think I would have thought about the vinyl except I have a friend who has gone nuts about vinyl. I had chatted with her about it at another friend's house the week before I made this card and she appeared at my shoulder to whisper, "Don't worry! Try vinyl!" Well, maybe it didn't exactly happen like that but thanks to her, I was encouraged to give it a shot. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Great card and great details on how you made it your own. I love the vintage look. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you changed your card to make it your own. It is such a wonderful Father's Day card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to explore what my cricut can do. I've never tried anything so detailed as this. I love it. Thanks for joining us at Cardz4guyz. Love Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card. My dad would have loved to have this card and I’m sure you gave it to a great dad too. Go Daddy-O

    ReplyDelete