Scene Card - Reindeer Christmas Gift Card

Hello! I have a great holiday gift card project for you today. It's been a little chilly here in North Carolina so it's been easy to get in the holiday spirit. I grew up in North Dakota so I know that when it gets really cold outside, the snow glitters at night like, well, glitter! This was my inspiration for today’s gift card. This project came together really nicely and I think this one might go to a teacher this year! If you like it, be sure to become one of my followers so you can see future projects.

Card Front



Card Interior

For this card, I used my Cricut Explore to cut out all the pieces of this project. You’ll find a complete listing of cuts, sizes and products at the end of the post.

INSTRUCTIONS:
First, cut out the gift card holder from the Artiste cartridge. In order to make this an A2 sized card, I needed to cut this 13” tall so I got out my 12 x 24 mat and some Cricut black paper. You could make this from 12 x 12 paper if you didn’t make it a gift card holder and picked a similar shaped card base from your Cricut library.


Next, I wanted to create a 3-D snow effect. I used the hills scene image from the Country Life cartridge. I got rid of all the layers except the 3 solid hill images. One of the cuts had small holes in it which I shut off with the Contour feature. Then I made copies of the card base, overlaid the three hills one at a time and used the slice feature so they would exactly match my card cut. Remember that the Slice feature only works with 2 layers so make a copy of your card base and delete any fold line layers so there’s only 1 card base layer before you try to slice it. You have to go through that process three times for each of the snow layers. I did a very similar process to create the moon. I first imported a 1 ½” circle and used the Slice feature to cut the moon to match my card shape. If you don’t have an Explore, you can still do this by cutting your hills and moon, manually tracing your card area against the hills and moon, and hand cutting them with a scissor. 



To create the rest of the scene, I cut out 5 trees in three different sizes from the Doodlecharms cartridge. I cut out a reindeer silhouette from Gypsy Wanderings, a circle for my card interior and a banner for my tag from Artiste. I used ink and a finger dauber to shade the tree cuts and the circle.
I wanted my reindeer silhouette to stand out so I embossed it with two layers of metallic embossing powder. This was done by inking up the cut, sprinkling embossing powder over the top and heating it up until the powder melted. Once it cooled, I repeated the process. He still needed something so I used a portion of a Christmas lights sticker to make it look like he had gotten tangled in some holiday decorations.



To assemble the card, I first ran the front of the card through a Cuttlebug embossing folder for texture. Then I started layering the snow cuts placing the back layer against the card and using foam tape on the next two layers. This gives the snow a nice 3-D effect. I also glued the moon down in the upper right hand corner to the card base. Next I placed 1 large tree to the far left of the card gluing the brown base against the card and using foam tape for the green part of the tree. I then placed the smallest brown tree base so that the trunk slipped under the 2nd layer of snow using foam tape and another layer of foam tape on the green part. This overlaps the large tree a little bit. I placed a medium tree against the far right side of the car the same way as my large tree.

Next I attached the reindeer to my card with 2 layers of foam tape. I created the tag by stamping Joy on it and added a small piece of red embroidery floss. The interior of the card was created with the large circle and the two remaining trees. I stamped it with another Close to My Heart sentiment.

So there you have it! I hope you enjoyed it. I’ll be back next week for another project.


SUPPLIES:
Cricut Cuts:
Artiste – Gift Card base (13” x 5.4”) and tag (1.19” x .61”)
Country Life – Hills scene (5.8” x 3.3”)
Gypsy Wanderings - Reindeer stencil (3.3” x 3.3”)
Doodlecharms – Trees – (2 large=1.37” x 3.13”); (2 small=.9” x 2.08”); (1 medium=1.2” x 2.76”)
Free with Design Space account – circles for moon (1.375”) and card interior (3.5”)

Misc. Supplies:
Cuttlebug embossing folder – D’vine Swirl
Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distressing Ink
Christmas Crafts Christmas Lights 3D embellishments (Hobby Lobby brand)
Recollections white holographic paper – Michaels
DCWV Glitzy Glitter paper stack – gold
Delta embossing ink pad
Aged Gold Stampendous Fran-tage embossing powder
Black Cricut 12 x 24 paper
Misc. paper scraps – brown and 3 shades of green for the trees; brown for card interior
Zip Dry glue
Stamps – Close to my Heart - Season’s Celebration D1498 and Holiday Magic S1110


This Week's Card Contest Entries:



29 comments

  1. What a lovely little scene you've created on your gift card holder! The embossed background looks fabulous behind your elegant reindeer!

    Thanks so much for playing along with us at My Craft Spot!

    Kate
    Small Bits of Paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Looking forward to joining more challenges in the future.

      Delete
  2. A fun way to get in the Christmas mood! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow awesome card. Your directions are great, I'll have to try this gift card cut. Thanks for sharing and joining us at Bbtb this week

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Love to hear if you try the directions and how it went for you. Your feedback would help me improve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! Thanks for joining our challenge at Cardztv!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! He was one of those things that turned out better than expected. :)

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous card!!! Love the shape and the scene on the front! Thank you so very much for joining our 'Anything Goes' challenge at BBTB2!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This one was lots of fun to do. Looking forward to future challenges!

      Delete
  8. LOVE your gift card holder. I don't have the Artiste cartridge, yet. ;-) Thanks for joining us at CardzTV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an amazing gift card holder!! I love the scene with the trees and the deer. Such a peaceful feel. Great job!! Thanks for joining us at BBTB2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments. It's greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  10. Love the shape of your card and the gold reindeer! Beautifully done! Thanks for joining BBTB2

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your night scene on your gift card holder is just beautiful!! I love the gold deer and I love the sparkly snow. I too love to see the snow glittering in the full moon on cold, cold nights. It is just magical! Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the kind words and time to stop by. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. This is so sweet. I love your tutorial.
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Christmas CHALLENGE, Have a Blessed day, DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diana! Your site is really great and I'm glad I found you!

      Delete
  13. This is super cute, and really creative. You have some really fabulous projects, and I enjoyed browsing through your blog. Your project would be perfect for our Holiday Gift Packaging challenge at Really Reasonable Ribbon here:
    http://reasonableribbon.blogspot.com/2014/11/rrr-challenge-107-gift-packaging-and.html
    And for our Anything Goes challenge at Word Art Wednesday here:
    www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

    I hope you will play along with us!
    Karen L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray! I[m SO glad you stopped by to share your AWESOME art in our challenges. Im absolutely delighted to have you share with us, and hope that you will be back again and again!
      Blessings,
      Karen
      Word Art Wednesday
      Really Reasonable Ribbon

      Delete
  14. oh, I love this!! Absolutely gorgeous and I love how the inside is decorated too! Thanks for linking up with the Craftin Desert Divas "Tag It" linky party!!
    Nicole
    CDD dt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic gift card holder, it is beautiful!

    Thanks for playing along with us at Cardz TV

    Elaine
    CTVDT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous Gift card holder thank you for joining us at Bitten by the bug.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a FUN card! I love that gold reindeer, and the shape of the card. And it holds a gift card, too? How fabulous! Thanks for sharing with us at Really Reasonable Ribbon!

    ReplyDelete