Rainbow Drip Birthday Cupcake Card

Hi there! Just a quick posting of something I've been working on lately. I have been practicing with Distress Ink and I think I've finally got it! This is what I put together this afternoon. The rainbow background blended just beautifully and I finished it off by splattering some water on it. It's amazing what simple water does to distress ink. It is pretty magical.


So here's how I did this card. First I blended four Distress Inks starting on the bottom and working from corner to corner. I used Salty Ocean, Worn Lipstick, Mustard Seed and Mowed Lawn. These colors blended together to add purple and orange to the mix. Such vibrant pretty colors! I've had trouble blending these in the past but I finally ditched the wood handled mini blender and tried angled cosmetic sponges. What a difference! When I could really feel how much pressure I was using and didn't have 2" of wooden stick between me and the paper, it worked so much better. The sponges apply a nice finish. If I dare say so, I think it's better than the Tim Holtz sponges! It certainly worked way better for me.

The stamps are from Close To My Heart and the set came with the Cricut Artiste bundle. I stamped the sentiment first, masked it and stamped the cupcake on top. The mask makes it appear that the cupcake is behind the sentiment. Then I drew two perpendicular angled lines and cut the middle section out making sure the stamped image overlapped on the two remaining corner sections that were still intact. I colored the cupcake and wrapper with pink and blue Spectrum Noir markers.

To put it together, I placed the blended rainbow piece on top of a dark blue A2 sized cardstock. Then I put foam tape underneath the piece with the stamped image and two remaining corners and placed it on top. A few sequins with white Perlen Pen dots and some glitter to resemble sugar on the cupcake, and the card was done. This is very simple but oh, so satisfying.

Card Recipe:
White A2 sized card base
White card stock for the rainbow distress ink - 4.75 x 3.5
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Salty Ocean, Worn Lipstick, Mustard Seed and Mowed Lawn
CTMH Birthday set from the Cricut Artiste Bundle
Tim Holtz distress glitter - Clear Rock Candy
Momento black ink
Yellow and iridescent sequins
Perlen Pen - Ice White

I'm proud to enter this card in the following challenges: Simon Says Stamp-Monday Challenge, Through the Craft Room Door-Anything Goes ChallengeCardz TV-Anything GoesJo's Scrapshack-#179 Anything Goes with Kenny K Stamps

No comments