A Toothy Grin!




Have you tried the Slimline card style yet? This is my first of it and I now completely understand the new craze! The tall slim size is fun to work with because you can build vertical scenes that are just not really possible with the typical A2 card size.


I don't have slimline dies so to make this I created a simple card base from CutCardStock's Dolphine Gray cardstock sized 8 1/2 x 7 and folded it in half to create a card base that's 8 1/2 x 3 1/2, the standard Slimline card size. I cut the top card panel a little smaller from Curious Metallic Gold Leaf cardstock at 8.25" x 3.25." To make it a little more interesting, I cut it using the wave blade on my Creative Memories paper trimmer. The portals were cut using a die with 4 holes from Avery Elle. After cutting the first four portals, I move it down and cut two more portals. To avoid cutting anything but the two portals, I moved the part of the card and die that I didn't want cut off the edge of my cutting plates. No pressure means no cutting. This way I got six perfect portals.




The next step was to cut 6 round backgrounds for this shaker card. I chose three colors of fractured metallic cardstock from my stash. I cut them bigger than the portals and arranged them on the card base so that when it was time to place the gold top on, they would line up perfectly. To help me, I traced the portal holes on the front panel and then glued them down.




Next, I cut all the sea life images from a Hero Arts Card kit from March 2019. I chose to stick with the metallics, this time using Curious Metallic White Silver cardstock. I also cut and secured a large piece of acetate from some packaging I had recycled. Recycled plastics work great for shaker cards!




Then I started to lay out the images so they would peak through the portals. I also heat embossed, cut and glued the shark image from an Avery Elle set called Sea-Prise. I love his toothy grin and the silver is the perfect color for shark skin!




Then it was time to use strips of Darice Foam strips around the backs of the portal on the gold panel. The 1/8" x 3 3/4" size makes them easy to form around shapes like these circles. The foam wells secure the shaker bits and allow 6 different shaker windows in this card. Each portal was filled with blue irridesent chips, silver and light blue sequins, clear beads, dew drops and a few small gems in clear and blue tones
.



Now it was ready to be sealed. I pulled off the adhesive backing on the foam tape and sealed it over the card base. A few paperclips kept the card base closed and level while I did that.
To decorate the outside, I added a sentiment in silver embossing powder on Pop Tones Black Licorice cardstock. I glued on more of the die cut silhouettes on the front and finished it with some blue and green dew drops and silver sequins. I attached an anchor charm and a few silver sequins to the sentiment flag.




I was pleased to find that my envelope maker had measurements for the Slimline size. I made a coordinating envelope using CutCardStocks Canvas Textured Carstock in Smoke and lined it with some Curious Metallic Gold Leaf. You will need a 12 x 12 piece of cardstock to make an evelope. If you don't have an envelope maker, a standard business letter sized envelope works perfectly! For premade options, CutCardStock has a great selection of beautiful envelopes in this size.




This was a fun journey into Slimline card styles. I hope you'll "take the plunge" if you haven't yet. CutCardstock has the perfect cardstocks and paper for any adventure!

Have a great day!
Janet

No comments