Fancy Fold Bird Card

Hello friends. Are you stuck in a card making rut? We all get there at one time or another. Today I've got a tutorial for a fancy fold card that will give you a fresh take on basic card making. A few measurements, a good paper collection and some stamped images or embellishments is all you need to make this card. It's versatile too. Any theme or occasion will work. Just pick the colors and papers you want to set the mood.

For this card, you'll want a really sturdy base that can take a lot of manipulation. I used two Basis card stocks from CutCardstock for the card base and the mats. At an 80 lb cover weight, it's heavy enough to withstand a good workout but it's not too thick. I chose to use Light Lime and CoralCoral. These were colors that played well with the vintage paper pack I used. There are currently 29 different colors you can choose from in the store! You will find limitless color combinations in the Basis line which is fantastic.


There are many looks to this card. Above it is closed the picture below shows it on display. It's very dimensional.

Here is a view of the middle of the card. I used a message in the paper pack as part of the decoration and message in the card. On the back panel, I used a cut-out from the paper pack to echo the stamped bird and branch on the front of the card. Unfortunately this paper collection is sold out everywhere I looked for it. It's Simple Stories Simple Garden District.

You may be wondering where you can include a note and sign this card. It's on the back panel. Below is a photo of two cards I made of this style with different backs. As you can see, you can keep it plain as shown on the right or add an additional message as I did on the left.

Base Card Construction

In your main color, cut the following pieces. I used Basis Light Lime. Please note that I've used a lightweight scrap paper to make the mock up in the pictures that go with these directions. I often do this and keep it for future reference. It makes it very easy to make again this way.

1) Cut a piece measuring 9" x 5 1/2."Use a bone folder to score lines beginning on the right side at 1/2", 2 5/8", 4 3/4" and 6 7/8."

  • Using a craft knife or a paper cutter, cut two horizontal lines between the1st and the third score lines. These lines should both be cut at 1 and 5/16" from the top and bottom edge.
  • Fold the card on the score lines as shown below.

2) Cut another piece measuring 4 1/4" X 5 1/2.

  • Glue this piece to the larger card base using the 1/2" tab to join them. Using a strong adhesive is a good idea for this step.

Final Card Construction

1) Cut mats in your secondary color. I used Basis Coral and a scrap red cardstock in the sample.

  • 1 7/8" x 5 1/4" (2)
  • 4" x 5 1/4" (2)
  • 2 3/4" x 1 7/8" (2)
  • 1 x 1 7/8" (4)

2) Cut top layers out of decorative paper. Glue to mats In the sample. This is represented by the blue polka dot paper. In my card, I used a Simple Stories collection called Simple Vintage Garden District.

  • 3/4" x 1 5/8" (4)
  • 1 5/8" x 2 1/2" (2)
  • 3 3/4" x 5"
  • 1 5/8" x 5" (2)

3) Glue the matted pieces into the card.

4) Fold the card into itself so that it looks like this.

5) Use a nested die set in any shape you like to create a focal point on the front of the card. Glue only (this is important) the left side of the shape to the left side of the card, leaving the right half of the shape to overhang freely. In my card, I nested a lustrous piece of Classic Pearl Linen Card Stock in White Pearl. In my mock up, I used lightweight scrap in white and light blue papers. 

6) Decorate as you like. I used a color layering stamp set from Hero Arts called Color Layering Bird and Branch. I also added pink flat back pearls.

Here are the ink colors I used for the bird:
  • 1st layer - Archival Tea Rose
  • 2nd layer - Archival Cornflower Blue
  • 3rd layer - Archival Violet
  • 4th layer - Memento Black Onyx

For the large flowers, I used the following inks:
  • 1st layer - Hero Arts Taffy
  • 2nd layer - Hero Arts Fiesta Red

For the small flowers, I used the following inks:
  • 1st layer - Delicata Rose Gold
  • 2nd layer - Hero Arts Taffy

For the leaves, I used the following inks:
  • 1st layer - Memento Bamboo Leaves
  • 2nd layer - Archival Fern Green

I hope you'll be inspired to try this fancy card fold. It can be used for all styles and themes and it is impressive since it folds out to a large 12 3/4" size when opened flat. It is an unexpected surprise for the recipient when they open it. Make a visit to the store to see the Basis line. It's 10% off for the month of May. 

No comments